Thursday 29 December 2016

Associate Attorney Employment

Cortney Shegerian is an associate attorney representing Shegerian & Associates, a law firm in Los Angeles, California. She attended and graduated from California State University in Fresno, California for her undergraduate degree in 2010, then graduated with her Juris Doctor degree from Whittier Law School in Costa Mesa, California in 2013. Working alongside her uncle, Carney, Shegerian & Associates is a law firm that works with employment discrimination. Cortney has quickly made a name for herself, being featured in online publications such as Bloomberg.

Cortney Shegerian


She was admitted to the State Bar of California, as well as the United States District Court for Central District of California. In addition, she is a member of the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, the American Bar Association, and the Los Angeles Bar Association. We got in touch to ask Cortney Shegerian a few questions.

Q&A

  • When did you join Shegerian & Associates?

Before finishing law school, I joined team in the marketing department, The primary goal was client outreach and acquisition. I always knew that I wanted to work with my Uncle, so it was a natural first step to do commit myself even before I had my law degree. I was ready and willing to do what it took to be a team player.

  • What is it like working alongside a relative?

It’s a demanding, but rewarding experience. Those on the outside may think that due to my name, it is an easy ride. Far from it. If anything, my uncle goes out of his way to ensure that I work at least as hard as anyone else to avoid the misconception. It’s not nepotism, in fact, we are all family here. While we do get along with an air of family atmosphere, everyone here understands and likes to prove that when there is work to do, we work harder than any other firm.


  • What makes you different than other lawyers?

My work gives me a sense of purpose, and that purpose is to ensure the full and complete satisfaction of each of my clients. First, I listen to their needs wholeheartedly. I then try to navigate them through the process to ensure that not only they are getting the best assistance possible, but that they understand and can contribute to the process. The better they and I understand each other, the better the results will be. It’s not just a job for me, it’s meaningful work. I come to the firm each and every day and ask, “What can I do today to best serve my clients and the surrounding community?”

  • Do you have any advice for people seeking counsel?

Absolutely. There are two very important factors when considering hiring a law firm for representation. First, you need to stand up for yourself, your rights, and what is moral. In the workplace, often times clients allow themselves to not only be pushed over, but have their rights trampled on. That is unacceptable. Second, and just as important, is to ensure that the law firm's vision matches up to yours. Call and set an appointment for a consultation and feel it out. Make sure it is a good fit before moving further.

0 comments:

Post a Comment